This post contains affiliate links for your convenience.
I have been brainstorming this art display idea for months, but it finally came into fruition when my husband (perhaps mistakenly?) asked me, "Are there any projects you want to get done before I return to work?" So I convinced him to pull out the saw, make a giant picture frame, and mount it to the wall.
To make the frame for the art gallery, we used our leftover window casings from when our new windows were installed last spring. They're the same window casings that we used to make our giant rainbow xylophone and to build giant letters outdoors with. So I was happy to put them to a more permanent use. The interior dimensions of our frame is 60" w x 32" h.
We attached two pieces of string to the backside of the frames with a staple gun before attaching the frame to the wall. Once the frame was finished, I used my Silhouette Cameo to cut out the sign for our art gallery (Robson Fine Art Gallery) from black vinyl.
Using wood clothespins, I put some of the boys' artwork up for display, including this bumblebee craft. It looked great, but it was missing something. Then my husband had a great idea. He commented that when he looked at the art gallery, it looked like he was looking at a clothesline through a window. Then he proposed that we paint the interior of the frame like a sky with clouds so that it would really look like a window.
Armed with some sky blue and white acrylic paints, I painted a simple sky scene with clouds. It turned out perfect. I love the punch of color behind the kids' art. Plus, it brightens up our playroom. Since our playroom is in the basement, the room can look quite dim at the best of times. This art gallery is just what this wall needed to come to life.
You may have noticed our beautiful Montessori-inspired crayon color sorters just below our art gallery. I followed this tutorial for upcycled Montessori style crayon holders from Happiness is Homemade, which I found via The Kavanaugh Report. I didn't have tin cans so I made our crayon sorters from plastic individual applesauce containers. And goodness knows, I have tons of those laying around (see here and here)! I just lathered them in a few coats of acrylic paint and a coat of Mod Podge.
And that's how we'll be displaying our recent arts and crafts from now on!